Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How I got into Montessori

In January 2003, 6 months before my daughter Allie turned 3, I started researching the best method for teaching preschool. I wanted the best for my child, and also knew I needed the kind of preschool that emphasized learning thru hands-on work. I had attended a Montessori school when I was young, so naturally, my thoughts turned to Montessori. My friend Carolynn and I did quite a bit of research, picked up a few Montessori books, looked for Montessori preschools around in our area. We quickly discovered that Montessori schools charged a little bit too much for a two-day program ($300 was average). We decided to do Montessori at home instead. We figured even though we had to invest money for materials, shelves, and manuals, we would be able to save in the long run. We wouldn't have to spend this kind of money on our future children (we only had one kid each at the time).

We quickly gathered up our resources and got our Montessori manuals, and made our very first Montessori wood materials. We did preschool with our kids three times a week for a couple of hours each time. This was in late August 2003. By February 2004, Allie was reading simple c-v-c words, and then was reading chapter books before she even set foot in public school kindergarten.

I continued to hold preschool in my basement (Utah) with my younger son and a few of our friends. I also taught a few friends in our ward how to make materials and incorporate the Montessori method in teaching their kids how to read and do math.

I have since taken online certification classes (which although I do not consider a true Montessori certification, has enabled me to network with other Montessorians and gain plenty of insights on how to run a classroom, and become a better teacher). As part of those online classes, I observed a Montessori class in action a few times. My son also attended a Montessori school in Utah (very expensive but very worth the money), which also gave me the chance to observe and learn more about how a normalized class should act and look like.

Our morning consists of two work cycles where the kids work, and I present or demonstrate new materials or work in Language, Math, Sensorial, and Practical Life Areas. We also do Geography and Art. In between our two work cycles, we do theme units during circle/line time. The kids learn about themselves, then their communities, their country, their continent, and the world around them. More information on lessons will be posted on a daily or weekly basis.

I love doing preschool! I like being able to spend one-on-one time with my preschool age kids, and seeing them learn. It is a great day when I find they can read, when they can count and really know what 10, 100, and 1000 mean, or when they can complete a long-winded task all by themselves.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thank goodness you got into Montessori! You have not only introduced me to Montessori, but have inspired me over and over again! I love this method of teaching children. Sure, it isn't the only way to teach a child, but I think it is the most fun!